Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Handmade Christmas

In an effort to save money and the planet and all that stuff, I made a few Christmas presents last year. They were mostly for some of the little girlies in the family. And made form materials I already have. Mostly. Here's my reasoning: I need to buy fabric and yarn and crafty goodies and supplies throughout the year so when the time comes to make gifts (or anything really) I can use materials I already have, craft from the stash, and feel really good about not going out and buying stuff. Makes sense to me!
I think I'll have to start working now to have all the things made for next Christmas!

I made a couple of these shrugs, they're so sweet and quick to knit up! Pattern was a freebie too, love Ravelry.



Shrink plastic rocks! My friend Steph un the US sent me some last year and I'm in love! Great for making stuff for the older kids too. This is Sarah's keyring.


Little bags and pouches are quick to stitch up, useful, and a great way to use up leftover fabrics from other projects, so no waste!


I also love iron on transfer paper! Print anything you like onto it and iron it on. I was really happy with how this pencil case turned out!


This little top was fun too! Another free pattern, this one from burdastyle.com.


This one took the longest to make, only because I kept starting other projects while I was working on it. Yet another free pattern, from knitty.com.
There were a few other things too like Alyshia's apron and pot holder for dress ups, and Mariette's blue shrug, but I forgot to take photos of them before they got wrapped up.
I think the best thing about doing handmade gifts is that I get to spend time doing things I love, that and trying new things, that's always good too!
I will definately have to get started soon for next Christmas, right after I finish making Dayle's birthday present, and Sam & Bella's birthday presents, and myshrug, and my skirt for work. Thank god I already finished making Mum's birthday present!
________________________________________

I think Coen is working on some kind of comedy act. He was chatting to me as I was posting about his box escapade.

"Look at me! I'm in this box now!"

If the boxes keep getting smaller I don't think he's going to fit.
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment